Mind blowing SEO improving and Google rank increasing Signature Rotator SEO Tool.

Thread: 

A guide to starting a forum?

Ads
banner
banner
banner
zorro Offline referral

Could anybody tell post a guide on how to starting a forum? I am thinking about starting my own discussion forum board dedicated to mostly genneral topics I mean it's going to be a general forum where users will post all kinds of topics, but I don't know what hosting a forum site needs also what domain name should I use and lastly how to get members fast and make that forum active/busy with lots of posts/topics?
marcus_avrelius Offline referral

Support Team
To start a forum you'll need:

1. Forum software or Forum Script
2. Domain name
3. Hosting

For forum script you can use either open source/free forum software/script or you can use paid one. I recommend MYBB Forum

For Domain name make sure it's going to contain at least one of keywords you are targeting from your niche!

For Hosting you can use Ipage or Hostgator hosting. Stars on shared hosting and then once you get traffic and your site becomes busy switch to dedicated hosting or VPS/Private hosting!
zorro Offline referral

Thanks Marcus listen I have Google for "free forum software" and phpBB comes on first position this makes me believe it's better than MYBB?
vinzleft Offline referral

General niche is a good choice, but with too much competition in general niche, it's going to be really hard to get members to join in your forum. If you can narrow it down your niche it may be more successful.

From forum you may choose mybb or SMF. Don't go for paid software yet if you don't know anything about the basics of creating and promoting a forum. I would suggest to go on free hosting first, there are bunch of sites to get free web hosting without ads. Just be sure to backup regularly. And if your forum is become bigger, it's your time to go on paid route. Honestly free forum can do what paid forum software can do, it's matter of forurm or plug ins that will suite your needs. Look at this forum it's a free software forum, but it has a lot of members.

That all Thank you!
zorro Offline referral

vinzleft Thanks very much for your great reply I very appreciate this. The internet has so many forums that cover pretty much all topics and niches I am probably going to dedicate my forum at first to video games and then slowly I am gonna add more forums to discuss different topics Smile

(03-20-2014 05:21 PM)zorro Wrote:  vinzleft Thanks very much for your great reply I very appreciate this. The internet has so many forums that cover pretty much all topics and niches I am probably going to dedicate my forum at first to video games and then slowly I am gonna add more forums to discuss different topics Smile

Your welcome. That's a good niche but still competitive, but don't be afraid of competition. Competition is in our daily lives. All you need to do is think an idea that will seperate your forum to other forum out there. My advice to you is go to admintalk or the adminzone. It's a place for all forum owners, you will learn the do's and dont's for forum owners.
surenot Offline referral

No matter what your niche is going to be or your forum topic you need either pay someone to create content or add content your self. If your forum looks dead with no posts no one will register and Google will never rank it high on search engine. Instead of spending time searching for some magic formula that will answer all your questions dedicate that time to creating content which will make your forum look busy and will encourage people to sign up Smile

Ask friends to join in your forum, posting exchange, contest. They are a lot of ways of to get members. Be active in your forum always, provide them valuable information, so members always going back to you.
seo123 Offline referral

Yeah the hardest thing for a new forum is to get users and traffic. I suggest you to create forum as a part of your website so that people vising and reading your web site content will have place to create new topics or just post comments then once you get enough users and traffic you can start slowly changing the forum subject or niche by adding new forums to discuss new topics!

This are the "Don't", when running your own forum.

1. Treat your members as gold, because your member is is the core of a successful forum.
2. Never put an automatic banning, unless they are spamming bots.
3. It is an old school social network. So, don't be afraid of duplicate content in your forum. Google are not stupid.
4. Don't be a BS to your member. Skating that "you should post like this or post like that".
5. Threatening your member is a NO-NO.
6. It's better to have 50,000 members and rank poorly in a search engine, rather than higher on search engine with a ghost town forum.
contusecommerce Offline referral

For starting forum, you have to set google alerts with few syntax.
Sdgroupkol Offline referral

Banned

Banned
Thanks for your suggestion.
CharmingOtter Offline referral

I tried to write my opinion but anti-spam system thought that it was something I shouldn't post((( I don't even know what I did wrong...
I was just writing about ways of making people visit your forum...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)