Mind blowing SEO improving and Google rank increasing Signature Rotator SEO Tool.

Thread: 

What are you doing about Google Hotlinking all your images

Ads
chod Offline referral

Posting Freak
So with the update to Google Images, Google has now decided to hotlink all their image results from your site. Many webmasters have seen a decline in traffic and CTR since this change has taken place. I personally feel this is a very shady practice by Google, basically cutting us out a little more.

I am wondering who is allowing hotlinking in general and how is blocking hotlinking but allowing Google Images to still do it, or just block all hotlinking attempts.

For me I am personally blocking all hotlinking on all my sites, but I am testing just allowing google images to hotlink on my blog. The reason I am testing is I want to see if there is a difference by allowing just GI through. When I launched the site I was blocking all hotlinking like I do for all my sites.

If you are blocking in any manner share what technique you are using to block. Would love to see others htaccess or NGINX config to block.

Here are two variants I use

block all hotlinking, except blank referrer and your site. Redirect to an image
Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(.+\.)?YourSiteHere\.com/ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteRule .*\.(jpe?g|gif|bmp|png)$ /images/dontStealBandWidth.jpg [L]

Allow google, your site, cached images, blank referrer through, redirect to a page
Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} \.(gif|jpe?g|png)$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !YourSiteHere\.com [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !google\. [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !search\?q=cache [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) /index.php?/$1 [R,NC,L]

If anyone uses NGINX I can post what I do on there as well.
www.AdminEmpire.com
www.BlimptonTech.com - Best Free Online JavaScript tool to minify JavaScript files.
marcus_avrelius Offline referral

Support Team
Dude, outstanding post. "Me love you long time"
ivan Offline referral

Chod great post, could you tell me what is this "hotlinking"?
chod Offline referral

Posting Freak
(09-04-2013 10:21 PM)ivan Wrote:  Chod great post, could you tell me what is this "hotlinking"?

Quote:Hotlinking is a term used on the Internet that refers to the practice of displaying an image on a website by linking to the same image on another website, rather than saving a copy of it on the website on which the image will be shown. So, instead of loading picture.gif on to their own website, a website owner uses a link to the picture as http://example.com/picture.jpg. When the hotlinking website is loaded, the image is loaded from the other website, which uses its bandwidth, costing the hotlinked website's owners money. For this reason many website owners use .htaccess files to prevent hotlinking. In some cases website owners use the .htaccess file to replace any hotlinked images with an offensive image to deter any other website owners from hotlinking.

Hotlinking can also be used for file types other than images, including documents and videos.
Source: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotlinking

Basically its when someone uses images you host on their website, it then uses your bandwidth to display images for the person hotlinking.
www.AdminEmpire.com
www.BlimptonTech.com - Best Free Online JavaScript tool to minify JavaScript files.
chod Offline referral

Posting Freak
So no one cares or is not stopping hotlinking?
www.AdminEmpire.com
ivan Offline referral

So are you saying that someone can use images that are stored on my server and display them on their blog or website? Will this slow my website down?
chod Offline referral

Posting Freak
Yes that is what I am saying. And yes it will slow your site down because they are using your bandwidth. This includes Google Images, they are leeching your paid bandwidth for Googles interest not yours.
www.AdminEmpire.com
ivan Offline referral

Shi* how to prevent that?
chod Offline referral

Posting Freak
Did you even read my post? Seems like you are just skimming over things and replying.
www.AdminEmpire.com
ivan Offline referral

Sorry I've just seen so much code and that scared the hell out of me! Which one do you think is better for SEO?
chod Offline referral

Posting Freak
That is for you to decide. And if you think that is a bunch of code and it's scary to you then you should do neither one. If you do not understand code on a website you should NEVER blindly copy and paste that code into your production environment. That is just asking for you to put some nasty code in there without your knowledge.
www.AdminEmpire.com
ivan Offline referral

Come on Chod I see this is important I want to implement that!
chod Offline referral

Posting Freak
Then read the post it clearly states what each section of code does or does not do. I do not know what else you want me to say. How to use it also stated in the OP.
www.AdminEmpire.com
ivan Offline referral

OK thanks buddy, so this goes into .htaccess file and the file goes to main root directory?
chod Offline referral

Posting Freak
Yes sir. Make sure you set proper perms and ownership as well to your htaccess file.
www.AdminEmpire.com
ivan Offline referral

Really good post thanks see ya

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)